Super RSS Reader is jQuery based RSS reader widget, which displays the RSS feeds in the widget in an attractive way. It uses the jQuery easy ticker plugin to add a news ticker like effect to the RSS feeds. Multiple RSS feeds can be added for a single widget and they get seperated in tabs.
The plugin is fully customizable with external styles and with some inbuilt color styles. It acts as a perfect replacement for the default RSS widget in WordPress.
- jQuery news ticker like effect to the RSS feeds (can turn off or on)
- Tabs support, if multiple RSS feeds are added in a single widget.
- (NEW) Displays thumbnail to the feed items if available.
- Customizable with Inbuilt color styles and with external CSS styles.
- (NEW) Customizable ticker speed.
- Add multiple RSS feeds in a page with a ticker effect.
- (NEW) Support for full or rich description.
- Supports RSS or atom feed.
- Can strip title and description text of the feed item.
- Can tweak the widget to change the no of visible feed itemas and more…
Installation & Usage
- Download and upload the latest version of Super RSS Reader.
- Unzip & upload it to your WordPress site.
- Activate the plugin.
- Drag and drop the "Super RSS Reader" widget in the "Widgets" page.
- Input a RSS feed URL to the widget, tweak some settings and you are,
- Done !
For support visit Aakash Web Forum.
Click the download button to download the plugin from WordPress repository or search for “super rss reader” in WordPress administration under plugins page.
RSS feed is not refreshing
Super RSS Reader uses WordPress’s default feed reading module. By default WordPress caches the RSS feed for 12 hours. You can change this default value by adding the below code to your theme’s function.php file.
add_filter( 'wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime', create_function('$a', 'return 600;') );
Here 600 indicates 10 minutes in seconds. Please note that setting lower value will increase the load on the server to refresh the RSS cache. You can also refer this post https://wordpress.org/support/topic/rss-not-updating-no-matter-which-plugin-i-try/#post-10123881 to change the refresh time for particular feed URL.
How can I customize the RSS widget externally ?
You can use the
super-rss-reader-widget class in your stylesheet to control the widget styling. Other classes are,
srr-tab-wrap– the tab’s class.
srr-wrap– the wrapper of the widget.
srr-item.odd– to control the odd feed items.
srr-item.even– to control the even feed items.
Does this plugin support horizontal ticker ?
No, Super RSS Reader only supports vertical support feature for now.
What fields are shown in the feed output by default ?
By default the plugin shows fields like title, author, description, thumbnail. Other fields are not supported for now.
Will the additional ticker effect slows the site ?
No. the additional effect needs only 3.4 Kb of additional file. I think thats not too heavy to slow down the site.
How to create a tabbed mode ?
Just enter the RSS feed URLs seperated by comma in the widget, the plugin automatically renders the tab.
- New: Support for “no follow” attribute in links.
- Fix: Readme with updated FAQ.
- New: Ability to set fixed height for the RSS widget.
- Fix: Cleaned widget UI, reordered options.
- Fix: Code refactoring.
- Added feature to change individual tab titles/names.
- Added feature to enable rich or full description.
- Fixed feed ordering issues.
- Updated jQuery easy ticker plugin to v2.0.
- Minor code revisions.
- Added feature to cut down/strip feed titles.
- Added a new ‘Simple modern’ color style.
- Fixed imcompatibility of other jQuery plugins due to the usage of the latest version of jQuery.
- Displays “thumbnail” of the feed item if available.
- Added setting to change ticker speed.
- Added setting to edit the “Read more” text.
- Default styles are revised.
- Switched to full size ticker code.
- Core code revised.
- Added option to open links in new window.
- Changed the method to include the scripts and styles.
- Added a new ‘Orange’ color style.
- Core code is completely rewritten.
- Flash RSS Reader is removed and instead jQuery is used.
- Administration panel used in the previous version is removed and settings are configured in the widget itself.
- Second version with included CSS and Proxy file (loadXML.php).
- Initial version with a flash RSS Reader