Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There is a problem with strip_desc in Chinese and Korean languages. They have sentences without spaces. It would be better to trim not words, but symbols. There is no spaces here and it’s correct.
    你是否注意过每天在我们城市工作的环卫工人?他们几点钟起床,几点钟下班?一个环卫工人每天需要捡多少垃圾?这个视频带你体验环卫工人一天的日常

Hi Ed,

Super RSS Reader already uses wp_trim_words to trim text of any language. Please see link below.

https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/browser/super-rss-reader/trunk/includes/feed.php#L180

wp_trim_words trims even if the language uses single character as a word. See description below.

This function is localized. For languages that count ‘words’ by the individual character (such as East Asian languages), the $num_words argument will apply to the number of individual characters.

I do not understand east asian languages. Please give an example on what your are expecting. That would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Aakash

Hi Ed,

As you have mentioned in the comments below

It’s not working with these languages. In these examples there is no spaces or a few of them. That’s why the plugin counts it as 1 word:
    你是否注意过每天在我们城市工作的环卫工人?他们几点钟起床,几点钟下班?一个环卫工人每天需要捡多少垃圾?这个视频带你体验环卫工人一天的日常

Thai language: 2 spaces, and 3 words as your plugin counts it.
    บทสัมภาษณ์ระหว่างนักแสดงชายที่พึ่งสูญเสียเพื่อน กับหนึ่งในอาสมัครจากองค์กรสะมาริตันส์ที่ให้บริการทางด้านให้การปรึกษา และเชื่อว่าการฟังด้วยใจจะช่วยทั้งตนเองและผู้อื่น

It’s better to trim by characters and add this ability in the shortcode.

As I understand, in your case if strip desc is set to 50 then the content is more right ? You want it to be shorter as in some languages 1 word is longer.

In that case, can you please set strip desc to 3 or 4 ? so that the description length is smaller.

Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Thanks,
    Aakash

Ed Native
    Participant

I do it, setting 3 words, but sometimes sentences contain 1 long word.

I can’t reply here because the site doesn’t save the messages.

Your posts are caught as spam. Thats the reason.

Anyways, you can try the change below.

In feed.php, find and replace

$desc = wp_trim_words( $desc, $strip_desc );

with this

$desc = mb_substr( $desc, 0, $strip_desc, "utf-8" );

Thanks,
    Aakash

Ed Native
    Participant

Please, explain, what does this code do?

It will trim the desciption by characters and not by words.

Ed Native
    Participant

that’s working.thank you for you help!

Ok thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘strip_desc for Chinese and Korean languages’ is closed to new replies.

Subscribe for updates

Get updates on the WordPress plugins, tips and tricks to enhance your WordPress experience. No spam. View newsletter