Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I want to serve specific messages to iOS users — hey download my iOS app… and specific messages to Android users…download my Google Play app. How would you recommend setting this up with conditions?

Hi Sean,

You can create 2 announcements for iOS and Android.

For the iOS announcement, set the visitor condition rule like “Operating system” is “iPhone” or “iPad” like in screenshot below.

View post on imgur.com

Similarly, for the android announcement set value as “android”

Thanks,
    Aakash

Sean Callahan
    Participant

Hi Aakash,

Thank you! One last question. I’ve wrapped my website, which includes your plugin in an iOS wrapper. The iOS app is live on the app store. Is there a way to not show an Announcer banner inside my specific iOS app?

Sean Callahan
    Participant

Oh, one more question, is there a setting to make the banner show only once per user until the message is changed?

Sean Callahan
    Participant

As an FYI, I created one banner for operating system “is” iPhone and another banner for operating system “is not” iPhone and both banners showed up. Not sure why.

Sean Callahan
    Participant

Also, after I press update, how long should it take for changes/setting to take effect? Seems like there may be a long delay? (i.e., 15 to 20 minutes)

Hi Sean,

I tried the same in my local setup.

When the operating system is set to “iPhone” then the announcement displays only on iPhone devices.
    Please see the images below.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

As mentioned in the documentation page, the type of browser, OS is deducted from the user agent string.

You can learn more about user agent string here – https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/User-Agent

Regarding identifying web view or browser, you need to know the UA string. On the below page, you can find how UA string varies for apps. Similarly you must identify the UA and put that keyword in the visitor condition.

https://gist.github.com/taylorhughes/dae564f63b3d702429a5f37bd22b97b8

Regarding the time taken for the update, the changes are reflected immediately. Make sure you are not looking at the cached page.

Thanks,
    Aakash

Sean Callahan
    Participant

Thank you for all the info. I’ll give it a go. Have a good week!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe for updates

Get updates on the WordPress plugins, tips and tricks to enhance your WordPress experience. No spam. View newsletter