Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Prior to release 4.3 the RSS Feed Reader didn’t have the option to sort the feed by date/random and I would like to know if there is a way to have that again.
    You see, I am using this feed (see URL below) from a client and this feed ranks the listed items by “most engagement”, however, when I add it to the Super RSS Feed Reader, then the reader overwrites the ranking of the original feed for the date/random ranking provided by the new update.
    Is there a way to deactivate the “order by” from the RSS Feed Reader? I am a PRO user.

https://app.talkwalker.com/app/project/6bc1f25b-5b74-4fd7-b5c9-4379fdb456cc/cached/export_EuropeanClimateFoundation_VxgvEL95.rssfeed

Hi @gtelakis,

Looks like I need to add an option to disable sorting. I’ll add it in the next release.

Can you please make this small change in plugin editor ?

Open super-rss-reader/includes/feed.php at line no. 122
    Replace this

$feed->enable_order_by_date( true );

with this

$feed->enable_order_by_date( false );

and save the file. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Aakash

gtelakis
    Participant

Thank you for the quick response! I changed it from TRUE to FALSE.
    No effect yet though. Yes, I think it would be great if you add DISABLE function.

Kind regards
    Greg

Hi @gtelakis,

That should’ve worked. May be you looked at cached page.

Anyways can you also try adding this line in super-rss-reader/includes/feed.php at line no. 311 ?

return $items;

Please do clear any page cache and give a try.
    This should help you meantime till the next release.

Thanks,
    Aakash

gtelakis
    Participant

Hello Aakash,

I followed your second advice adding return $items; to line 311 but this also didn’t help. Now the feed just displays

all

items and rejects even the display limit. You can see the result here: https://www.tffw.info/

As you can see, this, is the original feed. You can see that the top first result is different from what is displayed on the website right now.

https://app.talkwalker.com/app/project/6bc1f25b-5b74-4fd7-b5c9-4379fdb456cc/cached/export_EuropeanClimateFoundation_VxgvEL95.rssfeed

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks for the support btw.

Kind regards
    Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the inconvienence.
    Please revert the last change I asked to make (adding return $items; at line number 311)

The first change alone is sufficient. (changing true to false at line number 122)
    I tested and it works.

Please ensure the following,
    1) You have saved the changes
    2) The cache of the page (if any) where the shortcode is used is cleared.
    3) WordPress sometimes caches the RSS feed which expires in 12 hrs. Please wait 12 hours if #1 and #2 didn’t help.

I can’t think of any reason why it might not work.
    Please do try and let me know.

Thanks,
    Aakash

gtelakis
    Participant

Hi Aakash,

It works now. I forgot to change from “Random” to “Date”. The code applies to enable_order_by_date and I completely ruled out that it might not apply for the randomizer.

Thanks again for the support.

Good to hear. I’ll ensure this can be disabled his options in the next version.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe for updates

Get updates on the WordPress plugins, tips and tricks to enhance your WordPress experience. No spam. View newsletter